Thursday, May 14, 2009

Homework - World Religion

1. How do you greet people in your life?
There are various ways I greet people in my life. Sometimes I just say, "Hello" or "Good morning", or other times I wave, shake hands, or hug.

2. Is it different for different people? How so and why?
Greeting are definitely different for different people. When I am here at HJU, I usually greet people by saying, "Hello", waving, or sometimes bowing slightly. When I greet my good friends, we usually hug or shake hands. Depending on my relationship with the person and depending on the situation, greetings are different.

3. Do you touch people when you talk to them? Why? Or Why not?
I generally do not touch people when I talk to them. Depending on my relationship with the person I am talking to or the subject, I may make physical contact while talking. For example, if I am talking to a good friend and they are feeling sad or crying, I may try to comfort them by hugging them.

5 comments:

Phillippoinpon♪ said...

Hello.
I agree with you so much. When I meet my good friends, I hug with her. However, if she is a teacher, I can't hug her. There are many close teachers around me, but I can't do that. HOwever, I could do that with a teacher when I went to England. In addition, I wasn't ashammed at all. It means that it is culture!!! If I went to England or America, huging is very popular. I have to adopt each culture. I love foreigners so much, so I don't suffer from it:P♪

Hahahahaha♪

Chuck said...

Hi Gareth,

I totally agree with you!
It is clear that we exchange different greetings depends on the people and the situation.
We can sometimes express our affection or interests by touching their parts of body. I think that kissing and hugging may be the example of that.

anpanman said...

Good evening, Gareth!

It is different whther we touch people or not depending our countries.
When I was in the States, my host family often said,"Look at me."
But Japanese people hardly make eye-contact, right?
So, I was confused.
I think making eye-contact is one of the differences between Asia and the U.S.
How do you think about that?

kimuchu said...

Hi!! Thank is the first time to comment in here.
I think greenting of Japanese way is very weird. Because most all od young ppl don`t say "hello" to their friends. In spite of afternoon they say " good morning". Have you heard that? "konnichiwa" is categorize "sonkeigo". what do you think?

anpanman said...

Good evening, Gareth.
Whenever you meet me, you greet me.
I'm so happy to greet you.
I think greeting is one symbol to get along with friends.
So, I think greeting is one of the most important habits in our lives.
Also, I'm confused making eye-contact when I talk to foreign people.
I can't make eye contact because we don't have the culture like that in Japan.
So, making eye contact makes me confusion.
How can I make eye contact well?