Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Homework - Education

1. Do you think Japan should give more students options to study more languages (other than English) in Junior and Senior High School?

From what I have heard, English is a requirement at schools in Japan. I am not sure how common other language classes are but I think it is a good idea to have more than one language class available for students. For people interested in learning languages other than English, mandatory English classes will be troublesome and students will have no motivation to learn.


2. Read this interesting opinion from the Mainichi newspaper. Do you agree with the author? Is being fluent in English a waste of time?

I do not think that being fluent in any second language is a waste of time. Being bilingual can help a person in a lot of ways but, I do not think that it is necessary for many Japanese people to be fluent in English. Unless a person would like to get a job dealing with English such as a flight attendant or hotel worker, English is not something that will be used often in their daily life. I think that for someone living in Japan, speaking English is not a necessity.

3 comments:

chai said...

Yeah being fluent in English is not necessary for many people here, Japan. That's because we don't use English in our daily life as you said, and that is why we don't need to be fluent in English. However, if we used English in daily life, Japan could be able to get involved international society moer and become more open to the world. Even more foreigners may be interested in Japan. So I would say that it seems like speaking English is not necessary in Japan, but, it would be nice if that became necessary if not "fluent."

bits said...

I think Japanese students to study only English. If people interested in learning languages other than English, they can have many choices. I hope that!

Blogger said...

I also think that being fluent in any second language is not waste of time. Someday, I want to speak English fluently.