Sunday, January 18, 2009

Homework - Table Manners

1. Have you ever eaten in a foreign restaurant? Where? What did you eat? Did you make any mistakes? Please explain your experience. Did you learn anything?

Yes, I have eaten in restaurants in Japan.
I have eaten at various kinds of restaurants in Japan, some very inexpensive and a few very expensive. I have eaten all kinds of food here in Japan, such as, ramen, fried chicken, okonomiyaki, etc. At certain restaurants I was a bit confused because my meal came with a small dish with many kinds of sauce in it and I had no idea what sauce to use with what food. Another example is when I go to an izakaya, someone else usually orders the food so I do not what what each type of food is. I do not eat beef so I usually have to ask someone if there is meat in the food.

As far as table manners go, much of what I learned, I learned in Hawaii. From the time I was a child, my mother told me not to pass food chopstick to chopstick and also do not stick my chopsticks straight up in my rice. When I got to Japan, I was at a restaurant and I moved a bowl closer to me using my chopsticks. My friend told me that doing so is bad manners!

2 comments:

no.1-jm said...

In your examples about manner, I've heard all things from my mother. Each coutry has different mannar.it's interesting,but sometimes confusing.

chai said...

You've had many experience about table nammers in Japan. That is good. Also, it's good to learn the table nammers from someone directly like your friend did to you here because you won't forget it learned by that way.